Coach Dan John is one of the biggest coaching influences in my life. After almost a decade of following his work, interpreting his work, and being influenced by it, I finally got a chance to have a conversation with him.
Two things stand out, in my head, from my conversation with him.
- Understanding the pleasure of not achieving the goal.
- With great power comes great responsibility.
On #1, why do a lot of us sabotage our health and fitness goals? Why do we diet real hard for 6 weeks and then let go for the next few months and lose all the progress?
I think it is a combination of factors, some of which could be
- Not truly connecting with your goal. You think that's your goal but it is not truly what will elevate your life.
- Resistance. The closer and closer you get to achieving your goal, the harder it gets. The last mile is harder than the previous one.
- Not allowing yourself to wave up and down, and expecting linear progress.
- Doing the wrong things. Anything works for 6 weeks, and then stops working. That's around when we might hit a plateau as well, and lose focus and interest.