I keep saying things like "no electronics in the bedroom" but no one seems to understand that it means no electronics in the bedroom.
So, instead of a laundry list of things you can do, here's ONE thing. This is my meditation 101.
When you go to bed, press your tongue lightly in the roof of the mouth and breathe light. Light breathing means that you do not make much noise, or heave your body up and down. It does not mean shallow breathing. It means light.
- Tongue pressed into the roof of the mouth.
- Light breathing. Not shallow.
- As you inhale (reasonably slowly but not exaggerated slowness), all you will think in your head is inhale.
- Pause briefly once the inhale is done, and all you will think in your head is pause.
- Exhale slowly, saying exhale in your head.
- Pause briefly, saying pause in your head.
But random thoughts keep coming in...
They will. Here's the key. Anytime a stray thought enters your head,
- don't explore it.
- don't criticise yourself for having that thought.
- don't anything.
Just go back to inhale/pause/exhale/pause. Nothing else - go back to it.
Whenever you catch your thoughts straying - just go back to it.
Let me know feedback on how it works for you. I discovered this for myself a few years ago, and it works like a charm for me.